Re: Packaging VistA - GT.M directories

Hi,

On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 09:03:51AM -0400, Luis Ibanez wrote:

> Our first rough cut at the directory structure
> for the VistA Debian package has been:

I confirm that the questions Nicolas Barbier has asked in his replay to
your mail are the same questions which are somehow bothering me as well
(so I will not repeat these here).

> /var/lib/vista/
> /var/lib/vista/r
> /var/lib/vista/o
> /var/lib/vista/g
> /var/lib/vista/j
> /var/lib/vista/logs
> /var/lib/vista/inetd
> /var/lib/vista/profile
>

> The directories "j" and "logs" were added during the Code Convergence
> conference call last Thursday, to accommodate for Journaling and Logs.

There is no precedence for storing Journals as far as I know but
regarding the logs, I'd definitely move these to

    /var/log/vista

and this could be "hidden" from the VistA code by a simple

    ln -s ../../log/vista /var/lib/vista/logs

to fake your suggested directory layout (which is OK in principle).

> The inetd directory hosts two files with configuration for CPRS / xinetd.

Uhhmmm, please don't put configuration outside /etc!  Also here the
solution will be something like

    /etc/vista/inetd
    ln -s /etc/vista/inetd /var/lib/vista/

or something like this.

> The profile directory host an example profile file, that a user could copy
> to set up the environment with the proper environment variables pointing
> to the VistA instance.

Examples should rather go to

    /usr/share/doc/vista

and you can use dh_installexamples to do so.  Please use the file
debian/README.Debian to explain what the user is supposed to do with the
examples.

> If I'm following correctly, it seems that we should have in this path the
> version name/number of the fis-gtm that was used to create the instance.
>
> Maybe something like:
>
> /var/lib/vista/V5.5-000_x86_64
> /var/lib/vista/V5.5-000_x86_64/r
> /var/lib/vista/V5.5-000_x86_64/o
> /var/lib/vista/V5.5-000_x86_64/g
> /var/lib/vista/V5.5-000_x86_64/j
> /var/lib/vista/V5.5-000_x86_64/logs
> /var/lib/vista/V5.5-000_x86_64/inetd
> /var/lib/vista/V5.5-000_x86_64/profile
>

> Would this make sense ?

Yes as far as it regards the version number.  I do not really see the
need of specifying the architecture here and would rather drop this.
What I wrote above with the unversioned dir should be easily applicable
to the versioned dir.