Re: Packaging VistA - GT.M directories

On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 12:10 PM, Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> wrote:

I confirm that the questions Nicolas Barbier has asked in his replay to
your mail are the same questions which are somehow bothering me as well
(so I will not repeat these here).

> /var/lib/vista/
> /var/lib/vista/r
> /var/lib/vista/o
> /var/lib/vista/g
> /var/lib/vista/j
> /var/lib/vista/logs
> /var/lib/vista/inetd
> /var/lib/vista/profile
>

> The directories "j" and "logs" were added during the Code Convergence
> conference call last Thursday, to accommodate for Journaling and Logs.

There is no precedence for storing Journals as far as I know

Ok, I'll ignore the Journaling by now,...

Maybe Bhaskar can advise on what is
the right thing to do with that directory.

but
regarding the logs, I'd definitely move these to

    /var/log/vista

Ok,
I just did this.

We now have

                /var/log/vista
                /var/log/vista/inet

and this could be "hidden" from the VistA code by a simple

    ln -s ../../log/vista /var/lib/vista/logs

Since all these directories are pointed to by environment variables,
we don't quite have to put them under /var/lib/vista, and therefore,
I'm placing them directly where Debian policies will guide us to put
them. So,... the good news is that we won't need the symbolic links.
We just need to make sure that we set the environment variables
to point to the new locations of these directories.

to fake your suggested directory layout (which is OK in principle).

> The inetd directory hosts two files with configuration for CPRS / xinetd.

Uhhmmm, please don't put configuration outside /etc!  Also here the
solution will be something like

    /etc/vista/inetd
    ln -s /etc/vista/inetd /var/lib/vista/

or something like this.

Ok,

The configuration file is now going to:

                                /etc/xinetd.d

the full path is :

              /etc/xinetd.d/cprs_vista_xinetd

The other file is the shell script that plays the role of a callback when
a user of CPRS (the GUI client) talks to the port (9430 in this case).

That shell script triggers a VistA routine via gtm commands.

This shell script is now in

                                      /var/lib/vista/inet

and it is called:

                   /var/lib/vista/inet/cprs_vista_rpcbroker.sh

it probably should be associated with the user rather than being in
a system wide location. Particularly because it sets the environment
variables that, as Bhaskar pointed out in on of his recent emails,
define the tree-like environment.

(I'll revisit this...)

> The profile directory host an example profile file, that a user could copy
> to set up the environment with the proper environment variables pointing
> to the VistA instance.

Examples should rather go to

    /usr/share/doc/vista

Ok,
I just did this with auto_install...

We now have:

                   /usr/share/doc/vista/vista_profile

and you can use dh_installexamples to do so.

and now I'm reading on how to do it with dh_installexamples,
that definitely looks cleaner.

 Please use the file
debian/README.Debian to explain what the user is supposed to do with the
examples.

Yes,
I added some instructions to README.Debian,
along the lines of "what to do just after you installed the vista package".

It makes me think that we should add more of a 101 Tutorial
in the directory:

                                  /usr/share/doc/vista

Something like

           /usr/share/doc/vista/GettingStartedWithVistA.txt

intended for full beginners that are prospective developers.

I'll see what I can put together....

> If I'm following correctly, it seems that we should have in this path the
> version name/number of the fis-gtm that was used to create the instance.
>
> Maybe something like:
>
> /var/lib/vista/V5.5-000_x86_64
> /var/lib/vista/V5.5-000_x86_64/r
> /var/lib/vista/V5.5-000_x86_64/o
> /var/lib/vista/V5.5-000_x86_64/g
> /var/lib/vista/V5.5-000_x86_64/j
> /var/lib/vista/V5.5-000_x86_64/logs
> /var/lib/vista/V5.5-000_x86_64/inetd
> /var/lib/vista/V5.5-000_x86_64/profile
>

> Would this make sense ?

Yes as far as it regards the version number.  I do not really see the
need of specifying the architecture here and would rather drop this.
What I wrote above with the unversioned dir should be easily applicable
to the versioned dir.

Sounds reasonable, and easy to do.
I'll take a crack at this directory renaming,
as soon as I get CPRS  to work with the
installed package.

      Thanks

            Luis