Re: Starting packaging VistA (Re: LSM in Geneva)

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 08:16:17AM -0400, Luis Ibanez wrote:

> > It is using the very same mechanism as it was used in GNUmed (and is
> > probably overkill also here - but anyway ... its there).  You find the
> > relevant pieces of code in the following files:
> >
> >    arb-common.config
> >    arb-common.postinst
> >    arb-common.templates
> >

> Just to clarify,
>
> a) Is it an overkill to create a "vista" user and "vista" group ?
>
> or
>
> b) What is an overkill is the method that was
>      used to create the user and the group.

My overkill remark was targeting at gnumed and arb package.  I just
wanted to make you aware that the code I was pointing to might vanish
from the arb package.

> I'm not particularly attached to the creation of the user and group,
> just had the impression that it was a good idea to help set up
> control on access to the database.

It at least fits my imagination how things work.  Just be guided what is
done on some "default VistA" installation (if any such thing exists at
all).

> I already put an implementation in debian-med SVN, using a file
>
>                                         vista.postinst
>
> that I mostly copied (and adapted) from the "dcmtk" package.

I have seen this - sounds reasonable.

> > It is using debconf and could be considered as "advanced packaging
> > technique" (which at some point in time of VistA packaging will be
> > inevitable most probably).  Please note: The way I used to add users to
> > the group is based on local passwd file which is most probably
> > insufficient for the purpose because in a hospital you will probably
> > have LDAP or something like this.  So just creating a group in postinst
> > might come cheap (even without debconf) but if you attempt to do some
> > more configuration enhancements for your users it will become more
> > complex.
>
> mm, yeap,
> maybe I'm trying to do here something that should rather
> be done by the system administrator of a real deployment.
> I think I see your point.
>
> I'm happy to remove the "vista.postinst", if that makes the package
> more consistent with Debian policies and practices.

Just leave it as it!  That's a common application of a postinst file and
my way to add users to the groups is not.  I did not want you to copy
from it - just showing what might be possible.  I never said that this
code is really useful for your application.