Starting packaging VistA (Re: LSM in Geneva)

[Quoting you in public because nothing was private in your mail]
Hi Luis,

On Wed, Jul 04, 2012 at 05:49:41PM -0400, Luis Ibanez wrote:
> Hi Andreas,
>
> I'm starting the Debian packaging for VistA here:
>
>     https://github.com/luisibanez/debian-med-vista

It is very good that you will start with the packaging but *please*
could you choose alioth for doing so?  In Debian Med policy it is
explained how we deal with Git repositories and when you do so our
automatic tools can fetch the data you are injecting.  This would be
really helpfull!

> So far, I picked the arbitrary name of "vista-ehr"
> as a package name.

Sounds reasonable.

> I'm happy to change it for anything that fits the
> Debian rules and avoid the conflict with the
> exising "vista" package from "mia" in the SVN
> repository.

What "vista" package do you mean - do you mean (the just renamed ;-)))
libmia-vista?.  It is unreleased and I have the gut feeling that it
never will be released - so I did not hesitated a second to rename it
(it should have been named libvista anyway and I think the 'mia-' prefix
helps making a clear difference to "the" VistA.)

> BTW: it doesn't look like that "vista" package
> has ever been released...,   is there a procedure
> to reclaim a package name ?... maybe....   :-)

Feel free to take vista ... (if you are not afraid about lawyers from
a totally unrelated product ;-))

> I'll process in github with a quick-and-dirty approach
> to get something done, at least so that all the pieces
> are there. We can then revisit it and modify it to make
> sure that it follows all the Debian rules.
>
> I'm sketching the process in this Wiki page
> in the github repository:
> https://github.com/luisibanez/debian-med-vista/wiki/Overview-of-Debian-Packaging-for-VistA

As I said:  I would really love if you would consider git.debian.org as
the main site for the package creation.

> In summary, it is similar to setting a system like
> Moodle or like Wikimedia.
>
> I'll appreciate suggestions of other existing packages
> that I could use as examples.

Unfortunately I have no good advise here - but that's why I moved
discussion to the list.