Re: GNU HEALTH in Debian .- Was RE: Medetel - IWEEE - Contact info

Hi Luis,

I guess you do not mind if I'm posting to a public list.  Please note
that we try to do *all* communication via this list because this helps
referencing to the list archive and we finally are an open project.

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 05:33:56PM -0300, Luis Falcon wrote:
> Dear Andreas
>
> We have started the creation of distro-specific packages for GNU
> Health. At the moment, we have the Archlinux version and we want to
> have the .deb
>
> Would you like to be the maintainer for it ?

In principle yes and as you might know we just started packaging under

   http://svn.debian.org/viewsvn/debian-med/trunk/packages/gnuhealth/trunk/

However, we are short before the next Debian Freeze and there is a real
lot to work on.  I admit my time frame is limited to the just existing
packages even if I consider GNU Health a very important package for our
project.  The best way to get it packaged is in my opinion if somebody
from GNU Health project gets a bit comfortable with packaging and we are
doing the packaging and testing work together.  In other words: While we
have a lot of packaging experience in the Debian Med team but we have no
idea how to test the resulting package.  It might help if somebody in
the GNU Health project would understand the packaging a bit to be able
to test intermediate packages and would be able to tweak things a bit.

We might be able to formalise this mentoring in a Mentoring of the Month
project:

    https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMed/MoM

Just tell me if you are interested.

> I'll be releasing 1.6.2 this week based on the latest default
> mercurial repository on Savannah, so probably it would be the version
> to start with the Debian package.

As you can see in the packaging SVN (see link above) we even started
with version 1.4.2 - I currently do not have time to check the
differences of both versions regarding packaging - but we do not need
to start from scratch.  The VCS you are using to develop GNU Health
is not very important - we just grab the released tarball and maintain
the packaging in a VCS hosted at a debian.org site.

Just let me know what you think

     Andreas.