Re: [OT - or may be not] The case for open computer programs

If you have 15$ left have you read the Nature paper, then you could also
read less particular about details "version" of the same thing from Science:

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/336/6078/159.full
Research Priorities
Shining Light into Black Boxes
A. Morin, J. Urban, P. D. Adams, I. Foster, A. Sali, D. Baker, P. Sliz,*

The publication and open exchange of knowledge and material form the backbone
of scientific progress and reproducibility and are obligatory for publicly
funded research. Despite increasing reliance on computing in every domain of
scientific endeavor, the computer source code critical to understanding and
evaluating computer programs is commonly withheld, effectively rendering these
programs “black boxes” in the research work flow. Exempting from basic
publication and disclosure standards such a ubiquitous category of research
tool carries substantial negative consequences. Eliminating this disparity will
require concerted policy action by funding agencies and journal publishers, as
well as changes in the way research institutions receiving public funds manage
their intellectual property (IP).

and publicly available press-release for it from Scientific American:
"Secret Computer Code Threatens Science"
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=secret-computer-code-threatens-science

Meanwhile we can just keep going forward making it all possible ;)

Cheers,