Re: [OT - or may be not] The case for open computer programs

What is more interesting is the reaction that
followed in serious scientific journals:

1)  PLoS ONE (the Open Access Mega Journal that currently
     publishes 3% of all the STM literature) now requires
     software papers to include the source code under an
     Open Source license:

http://www.plosone.org/static/guidelines.action#software
http://www.plosone.org/static/policies.action

<quote>

Software. PLoS supports the development of open source software and believes that, for submissions in which software is the central part of the paper, adherence to appropriate open source standards will ensure that the submission conforms to (1) our requirements that methods be described in sufficient detail that another researcher can reproduce the experiments described, (2) our aim to promote openness in research, and (3) our intention that all work published in PLoS journals can be built upon by future researchers. Therefore, if new software or a new algorithm is central to a PLoS paper, the authors must confirm that the software conforms to the Open Source Definition, have deposited the following three items in an open software archive, and included in the submission as Supporting Information:

</quote>

One of the new Journals in BiomedCentral,

   http://www.openresearchcomputation.com/about

which is also Open Access,

developed a similar policy:

<quote>

</quote>

It has been said that Open Source was the application
of the Scientific Method to the process of Software
development.  These recent developments show that
Open Source has a lot to give back to the scientific
community where the practice of Reproducibility
Verification has been lost and substituted by the
inferior and quite defective practice of peer-reviews
based on simple opinions instead of reproducible
experiments.

For one thing, the simple practice of doing revision
control, and implementing unit testing frameworks
that can be executed over and over again, will
already revolutionize the way software is managed
in many research institutions. It is sadly too common
that nobody in a lab can replicate a computational
experiment even days after it has been performed.

More on this by Victoria Stodden:
http://www.stanford.edu/~vcs/talks/CaltechMay122011-STODDEN.pdf
Technology and the Scientific Method: Tools and Policies for Addressing the Credibility Crisis in Computational Science."

For more in the story behind that Nature paper:
http://videolectures.net/cancerbioinformatics2010_baggerly_irrh/

and since the topic of Open Access came up,
there is still time to sign this petition to the White House:

                        http://wh.gov/6TH

to make all US Federally Funded research
available as Open Access to the public.

More details in:

http://blog.wikimedia.org/2012/05/25/wikimedia-foundation-endorses-mandates-for-free-access-to-publicly-funded-research/
http://lj.libraryjournal.com/2012/05/legislation/acrl-urges-librarians-to-sign-research-access-petition/

     Luis

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 3:20 AM, lina <lina.lastname@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 2:49 PM, Oz Nahum Tiram <nahumoz@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
> Indeed strong words, published in Nature where you need to pay $32 to
> read what we all know already.

There is a link, probably you may access (temporarily) to read if you
are interested.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B93SVRfpVVg3aW0tX3RLanRKdUE

Best regards,