seq-gen appears to be non-free

Hi All,

we have seq-gen 1.3.2 uploaded to debian, but it turns out that it
depends on PAML [0],[1] which is non-free.
I contacted both upstream and author of PAML [2] asking about
possibility to change the license, but unfortunately I didn't get any
answer from Professor Yang.
I would like to upload the new version of seq-gen (current watch file is
broken) because there is some number of users according popcon statistics.
How should I proceed now ? simply change section to non-free/science in
the debian/control and upload the new version?

Regards,
Alex

[0] http://abacus.gene.ucl.ac.uk/software/paml.html
[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-med/2011/12/msg00199.html