Re: seq-gen appears to be non-free

Hi Alex,

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 10:16:00AM +0200, Alex Mestiashvili wrote:
> we have seq-gen 1.3.2 uploaded to debian, but it turns out that it
> depends on PAML [0],[1] which is non-free.

Could you please be a bit more about "Depends".  Is it including
code of paml or just depends from the package (which would make
seq-gen rather be a target for contrib than for non-free)?

> I contacted both upstream and author of PAML [2] asking about
> possibility to change the license, but unfortunately I didn't get any
> answer from Professor Yang.

It is always a good idea to CC debian-med mailing list about those
attempts just to have a record about this.  Because this was not yet
done, perhaps you might foreward me a copy and I try "independently"
from you again which might make the request more urgent.

> I would like to upload the new version of seq-gen (current watch file is
> broken) because there is some number of users according popcon statistics.
> How should I proceed now ? simply change section to non-free/science in
> the debian/control and upload the new version?

Depending on your answer to my question above it is probably
contrib/science and yes if paml can not be freed this would be the way
to go.