Re: debian/upstream: How to verify valid yaml

On Thu, Mar 01, 2012 at 12:00:29AM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> thanks to your report I discovered that the YAML parser I used
> was accepting contents with invalid syntax.  I reported #661700,
> and switched to YAML::XS, which does not accept unquoted field
> falues with ambiguous colons.

Fine.

> In summary, when writing a YAML entry that contains more than just
> alphanumeric characters, it is preferrable to either quote it,
> or to use YAML's block or folded syntax :
>
> # Invalid
> foo: bar:
>
> # Valid
> foo: "bar:"

I'd personally prefer this because it fits my reading habit, but thanks
for gaining for completeness which might help others.

> Note that despite the bug, because of the round-trip it made in the gatherer,
> the data that I serve in http://upstream-metadata.debian.net/~plessy/ is safe.

Sure it is safe because the current gatherer can perfectly parse it.

> Another reason for not ignoring it ?

When beeing offline on Monday I wanted to play a bit with these upstream
files because I think we agreed about parsing plain upstream files in
the future.  So I wanted to be prepared to parse your proposed SVN
archive of upstream files.  You remember I promised to take over the work
to move content from plain upstream files straight into UDD? :-)

> Next I will correct the debian/upstream files in our repositories.  After this,
> I will do a mass reload, targetting all of our tasks this time (instead of only
> med-bio).

Thanks for working on this