Re: Problem using ./setup-repository: "gbp:error: /path/to/foobar.git is not a git repository"

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 1:12 PM, Alex Mestiashvili
<alex@biotec.tu-dresden.de> wrote:
> On 01/25/2012 06:55 PM, Carlos Borroto wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm following our policy document to setup proper git repositories,
>> for new packages I intent to work on.
>>
>> I got stuck using the recommended 'setup-repository' script. This is
>> what I'm doing:
>>
>> $ ./setup-repository r-cran-rsqlite 'Packaging for R/CRAN/RSQLite'
>> Initialized empty shared Git repository in /home/cjavier/src/r-cran-rsqlite.git/
>>
>> $ cd r-cran-rsqlite.git/
>> $ ls
>> branches  config  description  HEAD  hooks  info  objects  refs
>>
>> $ git import-orig --pristine-tar ../RSQLite_0.11.1.tar.gz
>> gbp:error: /home/cjavier/src/r-cran-rsqlite.git is not a git repository
>>
>> Am I missing something here? The only thing I can see is the uses of
>> "--bare" in 'setup-repository', I tried to read about that option, but
>> couldn't quite understand what is for.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Carlos
>>

> Hi Carlos ,
> its a bare repository and it contains only "metadata" but not working
> files .
> Usually you clone , pull  and push to it and it's set as the remote
> origin for your working repository .

Hi Alex,

If I understand correctly, you are saying this is not the way I should
create my local working git repository. This is the way I should
create the remote repository at alioth and then add it as a remote
repository to my local one, so I can push to it. Is this correct?

Pocking around in alioth, I see there is a '/git/debian-med/'
directory containing our package repositories. Is this where I should
create bare git repositories for my new packages?

Thanks,
Carlos