Versioning of populations

Hi George,

when looking at populations entry on the biology task of the Debian Med
sentinel at

   http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/tasks/bio#populations

I stumbled upon the "Newer upstream!" information.  Because I became
interested in populations I tried to verify this and I suspect that
something might went wrong here.  I assumed that the versioning
information in UDD is exclusively originaed from debian/watch files but
I realised that there is no watch file for this package.  Further
investigation showed that most probably this information comes from an
Ubuntu version provided by Oliver and UDD is just fetching this in case
there is no watch file.

When I kept on seeking I found only version 1.2.32 on the official
populations homepage[1] but Oliver's PPA lists 1.2.33.  I also did not
found a link to SVN where you obtained the Debian packaged version from.

I would have liked to send you a patch providing a watch file but
coonsidering this situation it would probably report not the latest
version and thus not much help is done.  Could you please explain where
you get the latest upstream from and how you plan to update the Debian
package (from SVN or from real upstream releases)?

Moreover I would be happy if you would consider joining the Debian Med
team and maintain the packaging stuff for populations package in SVN[3].
If you would consider this I'd be glad to provide any help you need.  As
A DD you have full commit permissions to the Debian Med SVN.

Regarding to Oliver's PPA I noticed that other potentially interesting
biological packages are available there.  I wonder whether you also
would consider maintaining these in Debian Med SVN.  This would enable
other DDs looking at your packaging.  I just realised that you even
worked on treeplot as user tryphon-guest in 2008.  Any reason why this
did not seemed to be attractive enough for you and you did not kept the
SVN up to date?  Any hint were you obtained the latest treeplot versions
from?

[1] http://www.bioinformatics.org/project/?group_id=84
[2] https://launchpad.net/~olivier-langella/+archive/ppa/+packages
[3] svn://svn.debian.org/svn/debian-med/trunk/packages