Re: [med-svn] r8804 - trunk/packages/mgltools/pmv/trunk/debian

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 07:40:04PM +0100, Thorsten Alteholz wrote:
> >I actually very much in favour of building mgltools from plain upstream
> >source as it is provided upstream in one source package and create
> >different source packages.  When doing this refactoring a package
> ><name>-common could be created which is needed by more than one binary
> >package.
>
> Yes, but how do you know what files need to be part of such a package?

There is no universal concept to do so.  My past experience says that in
most cases this is not very hard.  The methods to find this out might be

  - discussing with up stream
  - plain trial and error
  - inspecting the code

If you once had your system in an unusable state because of circular
dependencies you are happy to know what to do as a person with deeper
knowledge of the Debian system.  I do not want to let alone people who
do not have this insight.