Re: Free LIMS for genetic analyses and beyond anywhere?

you're touching one of the most underdeveloped parts of free software!

for images: use OMERO http://www.openmicroscopy.org
this is The coming standard for microscopy images

LIMS: difficult. to give a concrete suggestion:
* wasn't there a talk at the last BOSC mentioning a system developed at EBI? (I managed to track it down once)
* more hardcore: would TRAC work?
* database management: for minimal stuff, OO base and Kexi

but this is making it easy. the problem starts as soon as you mention "adapted for our needs"; whenever someone says LIMS I think everyone wants their own thing. This goes in the far opposite direction of having a system everyone can use. I think a LIMS should integrate with the other local databases. It should also be able to operate with some electronical labbook (another underdeveloped area). I don't think there is a free system out there which can do this and is flexible so other labs can adapt it. the systems made are all made for in-house use.

so by all means try to reuse something. but unless there is a system I have missed I think we need to develop something new. my take would be something like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ENOVIA_MatrixOne where the first step is to define a sample workflow and roles. but then the design space is pretty open. you're not the only one needing a LIMS; would it be possible to collect more interested labs to design something together?

/Johan