Free LIMS for genetic analyses and beyond anywhere?

Dear all,

our lab's sample management does not scale and needs an overhaul. The
idea is to migrate to an Open Source solution that fits the core needs
(what sample sent by whom in what form in what freezer last used by whom
for what project) and then have this adapted to our further needs.
"needs" most likely mean image data (antibody staining of various tissues).

There are various solutions within the reach of google. But if anything
matching our core needs is already close to our community, then anything
else would find it difficult to impress me. My hope is that we can get
something like it into our distribution in a not too far future. After
all, it is such bits of software that link our medical informatics folks
of us with the biogeneticheminformatical other half.

Many thanks in advance

Steffen