Re: fis-gtm

On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 09:51:42AM -0400, Bhaskar, K.S wrote:

> [KSB3] OF course!  Sorry, I am so close to GT.M that I may miss the fact
> that what is obvious to me may not be obvious to others.
>
> GT.M has no database daemon.  GT.M processes operate with normal user ids
> and group memberships, and a process is able to access a database file
> only if its user id and group membership has access to the database file
> as determined by the database file's user / group / world permissions.
> Details are in the security philosophy document
> (http://tinco.pair.com/bhaskar/gtm/doc/articles/GTM_Security_Philosophy.html
> is the URL; the way to always access current GT.M documentation is to go
> to http://fis-gtm.com and click on the User Documentation tab).
>
> The first process to open a database file sets up the interprocess
> communication control structures (e.g., shared memory) needed for
> multi-process / multi-user access.  The last process to close it cleans up.

In other words, GT.M is not at all a database server in the
typical sense of the word, and hardly even a server in
general.

It rather works like pretty much any odd application.

That's a big realization for packagers, I suppose.

Karsten
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ gpg-keyserver.de
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346