Re: fis-gtm

Hi Laurent,

On Thu, 21 Jul 2011, Laurent Parenteau wrote:
I think it would be better if the packages would have the version number
in the name, and maybe have fis-gtm depend on the latest release.  This
way, one could install multiple different versions of GT.M if needed.

you could already do that now. If you don't purge the package, your old installation will remain in a directory containing the version string, like /usr/lib/fis-gtm/54002A. I saw a remark in some documentation that the old version should be always kept. The only problem would be that you can not install an older version after that was replaced by a new one on the repository server. Or do you really prefer something like postgresql? What about bugfixes? If there is a version 1.2.003 in the repository, do you provide bugfixes for such an old version?

I don't think this had been tried.  Since someone else (Alan O'Neill)
was able to use Python script instead of the MUMPS code in the build

Is this script available for everybody?

process, I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to do the same thing
with another MUMPS compiler.

Do you have an idea how I can do any test to verify whether the newly build stuff works?

I think the best documentation about that is the makefile itself, and
the M files used by the makefile.

This seems to be a real challenge.

  Thorsten