Re: Fwd: Ginkgo CADx 2.4.0.0 released

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 11:08:45AM +0200, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> Any compiling of new packages should be against Unstable
> because that's where they will go first.

Yes.

> In fact, an argument could be made that any compiling of
> *entirely* new packages (like Ginkgo CADx) should be against
> experimental because that's where entirely new packages
> might go first as well.

No.  experimental is something else than unstable.  New packages go to
unstable (except they are an experiment of something).

> > There seem to be no packages for the 2.9 series.
>
> The *.odd wx* releases are considered development releases.
> Debian so far does not provide those (it never had 2.7
> packages either, for example). Whether that's good or bad is
> another matter. It certainly reduces work for someone.

Yes.  I learned in the past that the wx* maintainer is strongly
connected to upstream and has a quite strong opinion about not
packaging development releases.

> Please do keep on working with upstream on getting this
> straightened out as this is a killer application for
> healthcare.

I'd like to stress this.  As long those patches for wx* are needed for
Ginkgo-CAD we probably have bad luck with packaging.  So please help
sorting this out first.