We now have a Debian Med Team on Launchpad and a Debian Med PPA

Hello,

from my packaging work with BOINC I very much started to like the Ubuntu Launchpad and its personal package archives (PPA) run by Daniel. And Tim has demonstrated to me how helpful it is for his Bio-Linux packages. The only complaint I have is that it does not build for Debian releases but "only" on Ubuntu Drapper and Hardy upwards or so. Otherwise - wonderful.

In principle we don't need it since we have everything autoported to Ubuntu when we upload to Debian. But then there are cases when we ourselves want packages backported to our past releases and not many of us have backports upload privileges. Ubuntu has the same problem: everything newish from Debian goes into their latest release, not necessarily to the previous ones. So the users of our packages on Ubuntu need a PPA for that. Another issue are the experimental packages and those that have not even made it to experimental, yet. If it builds, it can just go to the PPA.

And if is only to ensure that nobody else takes it, This afternoon I just went on and formed the Debian-Med Launchpad team on
	https://launchpad.net/~debian-med
and it has its very own PPA on
	https://launchpad.net/~debian-med/+archive/ppa
My hope is that this will increase our audience on Ubuntu a bit. When there are perceived gaps in the availability
of packages for Debian vs Ubuntu, this PPA may be the way to close it. And when packages are uploaded to this PPA and not dispersed too much throughout many PPAs, then this may increase the fun even more. So, team and PPA I hope to also help forming some more of a cross-distro perception of ours.

The Debian developers get their launchpad IDs reserved, e.g. mine is "moeller-debian". Others can just get an account there by registering themselves. If this PPA is not needed, then it will just remain empty. No worries.

Best,

Steffen