Re: Any software package for Radiation Oncology Contouring?

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 11:32:11AM -0500, Adit Panchal wrote:

> That is great! I am willing to test the packages, however I am
> unfamiliar with the packaging process itself, so it may be better to
> leave it to individuals who are more familiar with it.

I can definitely give it a kick start.  Once this is done we can see
what might be the most effective way to proceed.  (I continue to hope
that some of our DICOM experts might step in, but as I said - I regard
it as quite important to cover a new category ...)

> > I've checked the requirements and as far as I can see all preconditions
> > are available in Debian.  :-)
>
> That's great. The only issue could be is that we used to have a
> dependency on Elixir (present in 0.3, but removed in one of the latest
> changesets). That requirement now has become simplejson for Python 2.5
> (as Python 2.6 already includes this).

Both is in Debian anyway so this should be no problem.

> Not a problem to create a tarball of the source with each release.

Fine.  Just ping me if this is available.

> Niels created PyTRiP as a different project, but the goals are similar
> with regards to visualization.

Thanks for the clarification.

> The input files for dicompyler are
> basically DICOM / DICOM RT; PyTRiP uses TRiP and VIRTUOS files. There
> are some differences as to what libraries are used for visualization,
> but eventually we may use these as well in dicompyler (i.e. VTK for 3d
> rendering). (Niels, please correct me if I am wrong).
>
> Eventually, we are considering adding support for other file readers
> into dicompyler, but as for now the goal for dicompyler is to work
> primarily with DICOM data.
>
> Also, dicompyler is a plugin-based project, so if someone prefers a
> certain rendering method, they may choose to replace the plugin with
> one of their own.
>
> That said, Niels created a personal clone on the dicompyler Google
> Code page that has additional functionality added to dicompyler, one
> of that being he moved the source files around so that it would be
> ready for packaging via distutils. That rearranging has not happened
> on the main source tree, but will eventually, if needed to facilitate
> packaging. I just suggested it in case it helps to look at the work as
> a basis to prepare the main source tree.
>
> Niels may want to also have a Debian package for PyTRiP, but I will
> defer that discussion to him.

It seems that packaging PyTRip in parallel to dicompyler would make
sense.  In any case I would be in favour of merging those two dicompyler
clones.  Sorting out the difference is sooner easier than later and the
danger of a real fork which came out of no big reason is there.  This is
not good from users as well from developers perspective.

> So to answer your question, we should base the package around the main
> source, obviously which will be tarballed at the time of release.

OK.

> I can provide a tarball now of release 0.3 or the most recent source,
> whichever would be more useful. The dependency switch would have
> already taken place if I provide a tarball of the most recent source.

Fine.  Just tell me where to download this archive.

> I would consider this depending on how much work is required. However,
> if it is non-trivial, I would like to get some assistance with the
> packaging. Honestly, I don't use Debian but do have Ubuntu installed
> in a VM,

Soooo, you are not using Debian.  This really stops our deal! :-)
Honestly, I do think that testing as well as developing the packaging
can perfectly be done also on an Ubuntu system.  Also once the packaging
is stabelized there is some more or less automatic propagation mechanism
(at least I assume this - do not know for sure myself) which enables you
to use the result of our work on Ubuntu.

> so I can try to get what I can working. We also have another
> developer, Roy Keyes (CC'ed on this), who works primarily with Linux,
> so he may be interested in lending a hand in this effort.

Sounds good.

So in short:  Tell me where I can download a release tarball and I'll
have a look in doing some packaging.  I'll let you know in case of
trouble.