Re: Packaging r-bioc-simpleaffy

On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 11:01:20AM +0100, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> 1) Debian packages are not supposed to edit the configuration
>    of other packages.
>
> 2) apt-get provides /etc/apt/sources.list.d/
>
> I am correct to assume that if a Debian packages needs to
> modify sources.list (indirectly) it should drop a .conf file
> into /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ ?

Yes.  However, opinions vary about the usage of this.  But from my
perspective this our use case is prefectly apropriate here.

> If so we could
>
> - provide a meta package r-cran-repository which
>
> 	- installs /etc/apt/sources.list.d/r-cran-repository.conf

Yes.

> 		- post-install runs "apt-get update" ?

No.  You can not run another apt-get process from apt-get.  That
needs to be done afterwards (if I'm not totally wrong here).

> 	- Suggests: a few main packages in r-cran-repository
> 		- that way "apt-get --install-suggests install r-cran-repository" acts like an "R-CRAN task"

In principle yes.  We could even go further and drop
APT::Install-Suggests into /etc/apt/apt.conf.d to enforce
this - but I would absolutely not like this because it
might have several other unwanted consequences.

> 		- Does that even work with already-installed packages ?

I have not tested it but I would expect this.  If the BioConductor
cran2deb repository contains higher versions than in Debian main
these will be installed - provided that you give no other advise
via /etc/apt/preferences.d.

> 		- if not we'd want/need an r-cran-most-common.deb Depends: r-cran-repository

The problem of this approach would be that it could not go into main
Debian because it would Depend (Recommend) packages outside.  In the
consequence we can not build this with our tasks tools.  For these two
reasons I'm in favour of the first method using suggests.

> 	- Lists: all (?) packages in r-cran-repository
> 		- that way "apt-cache search some-r-cran-package" would find r-cran-repository and/or r-cran-most-common

That's fine.

> I'm sure there's flaws in this scheme. Please find them.

The main problem in my eyes is that we do not have the metainfo of the
external packages in UDD and thus can not put them on our tasks pages.
So they are not visible for Joe Random Debian-Med-User.