Re: vienna-rna is almost ready

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 09:55:55PM +0100, Manuel Prinz wrote:
>  - Please add DEP3 headers [1] to the patches. This helps others to
>    gain information about the patch status. (What does it do? Was it
>    forwarded to upstream?) This is especially important in patch file
>    naview_copyright.patch, as it requires permission of upstream.
>    (Which you have, in this case. But ftp-masters want to know.)

Hint: If you set lintian on real nitpicking mode (--display-info) you
get the information what patch is affected by missing DEP3 info.

>  - You should be able to solve the configure-generated-file-in-source
>    lintian warnings by using "dh --with autotools_dev $@" in rules.
>    See "man 1 dh_autotools-dev_restoreconfig" for more information.

Ahh, cool.  I hoped that upstream will strip it in the next version
anyway but that might be helpful for now.

>  - The manpage-has-errors-from-man lintian tags should be solved as
>    well, though this is not crutial.

They are a bit connected to "hand-formatting" in upstreams manpages.
They do not want a line to be broken where nroff would like to do.
IMHO the lintian warning can be overriden.

>  - The patches for using the local libg2 are just workarounds. This
>    is OK as of now but you should talk to upstream about providing
>    a mechanism to do so directly via configure.

Yes.  I did these workarounds and suggested to Alex to talk to upstream.

>  - The first lines in debian/rules could be updated.
>
> That's all for now. The rules file looks more complicated than it
> might need to be but I'll look at it in detail, as I can't build
> the package at the moment. I'll also need to check the copyright,
> as I have not done that properly. (Just had a quick glance, looks
> good.)

The code of debian/rules was basically done by me and it is actually
more complex than usual which is basically a consequence of a broken
upstream tarball which was bundled without running make clean before.
Moreover some effort was done to build man pages at package build time.
This has pros and cons:  My pro is that you adapt easily on upstream
changes of command usage.  The con is definitely that you do not get
that nice manpages as hand editing would allow.

> Please address the above points. You can reply to me in private when
> you have updated the package. If you have questions, please feel free
> to ask on the list (or mail me privately).

I'd suggest the packaging list
debian-med-packaging@lists.alioth.debian.org for further discussion
because it might be to specific for this general list but enables
me to watch your discussion (because some bits of code are mine and
I might be able to clarify things).