Re: libtecla package

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 03:44:11PM -0600, Scott Christley wrote:
> I just committed the initial packaging for libtecla, ITP bug #612625.  I would be happy if somebody could review my package.
>
> When I run lintian I get these messages, I kinda understand the errors but am not sure how to resolve.  For example, how do I indicate this package closes an ITP bug?  I had to make a patch for the Makefile but I don't understand what lintian is complaining about.
>

> W: libtecla source: newer-standards-version 3.9.1 (current is 3.8.0)

Probably an old lintian version?  For development issues you should definitely

   sudo apt-get install -t unstable lintian

or even more clever put the following content into
   /etc/apt/preferences.d/01-linitan.pref

Package: lintian
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 601

Just note: Even if you are using a pbuilder unstable chroot lintian will
be runned on your local machine.

> E: libtecla source: patch-modifying-debian-files add-destdir.patch debian/Makefile.in

You should probably put the following text into your ~/.quiltrc

QUILT_DIFF_ARGS="--no-timestamps --no-index"
QUILT_REFRESH_ARGS="--no-timestamps --no-index"
QUILT_PATCH_OPTS="--unified-reject-files"
QUILT_PATCHES="debian/patches"

This is written in Debian Med policy[1].  Once you have this you
can simply do:

  quilt push
  quilt refresh

and the message is gone.

> W: libtecla1-dev: manpage-has-errors-from-man usr/share/man/man3/gl_get_line.3.gz 1659: warning: `\n'' not defined

I have not checked this

> W: libtecla1-dev: new-package-should-close-itp-bug
> W: libtecla1: new-package-should-close-itp-bug

You forgot to mention the ITP bug number in your changelog.

Once I used newer lintian I've got some more warnings I have fixed with
the exception of the man page related ones.  I do not think that these
do not deserve fixing but I currently do not have time to dive into
this.  You usually get valuable hints when running `lintian -i` and if
you try `lintian -i -I` you get even more hints about problems in
manpages:

BTW, I changed your short description which was actually no short
description but rather the starting phrase of the long description.
Please read developers reference about this.

Just let us know when you consider the package ready for sponsering.

Kind regards and thanks for picking up this packaging task

     Andreas.

[1] http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/docs/policy.html