Re: Debian-Med 'sprint' in Travemuende

On Wed, Feb 02, 2011 at 11:53:17AM +0000, Tony Travis wrote:
> A very significant outcome of the meeting is that Bio-Linux will make
> much greater use of Debian-Med in future.

One word to the native speakers.  The Debian Edu team had a long
discussion and consultation with native English speakers and the outcome
was:  The proper English spelling is "Debian Edu" (without the dash).
However, you English speaking natives seem to prefer Bio-Linux and
Debian-Med.  Two years ago we undertook an effort to do

   s/Debian-Med/Debian Med/g

Did we actually wrong???

> I will encourage NuGO to do
> the same and I've suggested to Andreas Tille that Debian-Med change
> their manifesto to include bio-medical research:
>
>   http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/tasks/

I changed also on http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-med/
(but with the writting biomedical instead of bio-medical - just turn
on nitpicking mode and correct me if I'm wrong).

> Previously, I mistakenly thought that Debian-Med was just about FLOSS
> for clinical practitioners and medical researchers. and I don't think
> I'm the only person working in bioinformatics who thought that...

As I said: This hint was *very* welcome and I also welcome any similar
hint.

> I also worked with Steffen Moeller, who organised the meeting, on
> "cran2deb" with a view to Debian-Med using the same build engine to
> package Bio-conductor as deb's. This might be useful to improve our
> strategy for packaging GenePattern.

I forgot to say: If you might have problems in automatically turning
CRAN software into a Debian package:  There is always a chance to
manually include it into Debian and the amount of work is usually quite
low.  It's just a matter of time.  It scales quite well if there are
about 10 packages.  If this are rather 100 or more packages which are
frequently updated it will probably scale not that well.  The advantage
of these manually done packages is that they can really be uploaded to
official Debian (and thus make their way to Ubuntu magically - I have no
idea how this catually works but there seems to be some mechanism).

Just tell me your most wanted packages and I can give them a try.

> Please subscribe to the Debian-Med list if you want to know more:
>
>   http://lists.debian.org/debian-med/

Yes, please do so.
[I CCed this list in my response because you also wrote to a public
 list and thus the mail is not really private.]

> The beer and Pizza helped during our late-night debugging sessions!

Well, the Pizza helped more than the beer - but thanks for food and
drinks in any case. :-)