Re: Need help with SONAME and dcmtk package

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 10:28:03PM +0100, Juergen Salk wrote:
> * Mathieu Malaterre <mathieu.malaterre@gmail.com> [110128 10:37]:
>
> > So I have updated the debian/rules files to properly pass a version 2
> > (instead of 1) to the compilation flags. What else should I be
> > changing: libdcmtk1 should now be libdcmtk2?
>
> Yes. The library package name should reflect the soname attribute.
>
> > Do I need to explicitely add new conflicts in the control file?
>
> At least the libdcmtk2-dev package must have a conflicts against the
> previous version in order to prevent two versions installed at the
> same time, which would cause a filename clash of the header files
> included in the packages.

It is not advised to have versioned -dev packages in general, unless
there is a good reason for it (e.g. 100+ packages using the library and
porting being not trivial).

> For the libdcmtk2 package I don't think there's a conflicts
> needed.

It must be made sure that the libdcmtk1 and libdcmtk2 packages can be
installed in parallel, i.e. no file conflicts exist.  This is usually
the case if no files under e.g. /usr/share or /usr/bin are in the
package.

Michael