Re: Medical device support for GNUmed

On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 2:47 AM, Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> wrote:
> [BTW, Jeff, are you subscribed to Debian Med list?  I could spare the CC in
>  this case.]

Not yet, but I probably should be.

> On Fri, Jan 07, 2011 at 08:57:57PM -0500, Jeff Buchbinder wrote:
>> The "install-deps.sh" script(s) importing the rxtx library could be
>> rearranged to import the distribution copy of the jar file for
>> packaging purposes.
>
> OK.
>
>> > In these (and a lot of other cases) upstream used parts from other
>> > projects, which are in these cases non-free and thus make the packages
>> > non-free.  My impression from your description of FreeSHIM is that this
>> > is the same because you include binary code without source.  If you do
>> > so you should at least explicitely state (or at least link to a website)
>> > the license which clarifies the conditions of usage somehow.  The Debian
>> > packager needs to check this anyway because ftpmaster is quite picky
>> > about this - but IMHO you should mention this in your upstream source
>> > as well.
>>
>> We have the option of just not including the particular driver which
>> requires that library, if that's a better alternative. It was broken
>> into separate drivers for this sort of purpose. You'll notice that the
>> topaz driver is shim-drivers/shim-driver-signature-topaz and can be
>> excluded if need be.
>
> If there is a chance to provide separate tarballs freeshim.tar.gz and
> freeshim-additional.tar.gz (we can avoid the harsh word 'non-free' to
> avoid making afraid users of other distributions which are not as strict
> as Debian) this could simplify the Debian packaging if such a split is
> possible.

I can try to split out the topaz driver (along with any other
proprietary drivers) when I'm doing the basic packaging. I would guess
that the way to proceed with it would be to actually patch the pom.xml
files for shim-drivers/pom.xml and shim-webapp/pom.xml to remove the
dependencies on the topaz driver so that it can be built from a
"clean" source.

>> I added a LICENSE file which is now in Subversion with the additional
>> licensing information, etc.
>
> Cool.  Thanks.
>
> Please drop us a not in case you will release a new (minor) version
> with your current SVN state.  I will now concentrate on the technical
> details and will come back (hopefully on Monday evening) with further
> details.

If you guys absolutely need that, I can do it, otherwise I can just
package up some source tarballs specifically for you guys without
specifically tagging the revision.

--
Thanks,
Jeff