Re: Medical device support for GNUmed

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 4:37 AM, Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> wrote:
> Hi Jeff,
>
> here just comes my first question. :-)
> I downloaded shim-0.1.0-src.tar.gz and expected to find a plain source
> tarball.  However there are some binaries:
>
> ./shim-library/native/i686-unknown-linux-gnu/librxtxSerial.so
> ./shim-library/native/i686-unknown-linux-gnu/librxtxParallel.so
> ./shim-library/native/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/librxtxSerial.so
> ./shim-library/native/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/librxtxParallel.so
> ./shim-library/native/ia64-unknown-linux-gnu/librxtxSerial.so
> ./shim-drivers/shim-driver-signature-topaz/native/i686-unknown-linux-gnu/libSigUsb.so
> ./shim-library/native/win64/rxtxSerial.dll
> ./shim-library/native/win32/rxtxSerial.dll
> ./shim-drivers/shim-driver-signature-topaz/native/win32/SigUsb.dll
> ./shim-library/deps/extcos-0.1b.jar
> ./shim-library/deps/extcos-0.1.1b.jar
> ./shim-library/deps/rxtx-2.2pre2.jar
> ./shim-drivers/shim-driver-signature-topaz/deps/commapi-2.0.3.jar
> ./shim-drivers/shim-driver-signature-topaz/deps/sigplus-2.52.jar
>
> included which are not needed (in the case of *.dll) or where it is
> unclear how they are builded or obtained otherwise.

The jar dependencies are required only for the build, and are all
obtainable from elsewhere as source, with the exception of the sigplus
jar file, which was provided by Topaz Systems "as is".

The native libraries (JNI libraries) are the same way. rxtx can be
built from source rather than included as a binary, but the SigUsb
libraries were obtained from Topaz Systems to access their signature
tablets. Unfortunately unless we reverse engineer their binaries, I'm
just stuck with including them.

> Moreover I noticed that you seem to relay on eclipse as building system.
> This is in so far unfortunate that building a Debian package has to be
> done in batch mode and excludes using a GUI.  So what would be really
> helpful is a build.xml (for ant) or a Makefile.  Is there any chance to
> create such a file somehow?

It relies on maven to build -- you don't need Eclipse. Technically
"mvn package" will build the targets properly. You have to run the
"install-deps.sh" scripts included with it to import the non-standard
dependencies for maven first. (Most of this should be detailed in the
included README file).

Eclipse project files are included for anyone who wants to develop
using Eclipse (and since that's what I use, it's easier than excluding
them).

--
Thanks,
Jeff