Re: Clouds and NG sequencing

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 03:58:43PM +0530, PRAKHAR gaur wrote:
> I do agree that this whole exercise might, turn out to be non-productive, in terms of a result. But the knowledge I will gain is substantial, so I think the time spent can be justified.

Sure.  That's perfectly fine.  I just wanted to make sure you are aware
of this.

> > If you ask me, purging everything from a Debian machine which is not
> > needed and using a very minimalistic window manager brings you quite
> > there where you want to be.
> I have tried it already, with the help of Debian Live Project.  But a problem I face is I don't have a detailed list of packages that are needed, compared to the comprehensive list  as in LFS. Moreover if you install a "package" eg. Gnome, many unnecessary things are installed.

Not necessarily.  You can try

    apt-get install --no-install-recommends <pkg>

or set APT::Install-Recommends in your apt configuration.  This will
install only packages which are *really* needed.

>  >DId you ever have shown your colleagues the page which
> > lists everything we have[1]?
> I am yet to do that.
>
> Additionally I want to start something regarding Debian at my local level, I have space to organize any event(100 people max).
> I am planning to hold a one day workshop for undergraduate students in my city, regarding "An Introduction to Linux in Bioinformatics."
>
> Any more ideas??

I have a certain amount of slides covering this topic available at

   http://people.debian.org/~tille/talks/

perhaps you can "steal" some content to prepare a talk.