RE: Clouds and NG sequencing

> Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 16:06:28 +0200
> From: andreas@an3as.eu
> To: debian-med@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: Clouds and NG sequencing
>
> For pure educational purpose this might be a reasonable thing to do.
> However, if it is rather to do some tie saving by trying to optimise for
> speed my experience tells me that you will never be able to trade of the
> time you actually needed for the optimisation process against the time
> you might later win because of the optimisation.

I do agree that this whole exercise might, turn out to be non-productive, in terms of a result. But the knowledge I will gain is substantial, so I think the time spent can be justified.

> If you ask me, purging everything from a Debian machine which is not
> needed and using a very minimalistic window manager brings you quite
> there where you want to be.
I have tried it already, with the help of Debian Live Project.  But a problem I face is I don't have a detailed list of packages that are needed, compared to the comprehensive list  as in LFS. Moreover if you install a "package" eg. Gnome, many unnecessary things are installed.

>DId you ever have shown your colleagues the page which
> lists everything we have[1]?
I am yet to do that.

Additionally I want to start something regarding Debian at my local level, I have space to organize any event(100 people max).
I am planning to hold a one day workshop for undergraduate students in my city, regarding "An Introduction to Linux in Bioinformatics."

Any more ideas??

Thanking you,
Prakhar Gaur