Re: Howto package a eclipse-RCP application for Debian?

Hi

Thanks to Egon and Niels for their helpful comments. My picture is now much
clearer.

I think upstreams will agree on making tags as Gerry Weirich always helped me
a lot and was always answered  my (stupid) questions.

Am Dienstag 16 Februar 2010 08:49:04 schrieb Egon Willighagen:
> Dear Niels,
>
> On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 8:35 AM, Niels Thykier <niels@thykier.net> wrote:
> >> It's dependencies are listed here:
> >> https://elexis.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/elexis/trunk/elexis-developer
> >>- resources/doc/developer.textile
> >
> > Sweet, by the way, you can see its direct dependencies in the manifest:
> >
> > https://elexis.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/elexis/trunk/elexis-developer-
> >resources/META-INF/MANIFEST.MF
>
> Interesting thread... I am a long time Debian user (now mostly
> indirectly via Ubuntu) and contributed small patches here and there in
> the past... I have unfortunately little time for packaging nowadays,
> as my Open Source work (CDK.sf.net, Bioclipse.net mostly) is eating up
> all my time.
>
> Now, Bioclipse is an RCP application too, so this thread has my strong
> interest, as at least I like to learn what would need to be done to
> get Bioclipse packaged...
>
> <snip>
>
> > If it relies on OSGi metadata (e.g. Require-Bundle/Import-Package in the
> > Manifest) to find database adapters, you will probably need to patch the
> > adapter-jars in Debian.
>
> Where can I find information on what exactly defines a 'database
> adapter' (you're not referring to e.g. the MySQL driver, are you?),
> and a adapter-jar?
Yes. elexis supports various DB engines. See the following plugins in the SVN
https://elexis.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/elexis/trunk/mysql-adapter/
https://elexis.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/elexis/trunk/hsql-adapter/
https://elexis.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/elexis/trunk/postgresql-adapter/
The following adapter is outdated (takes a long time to shutdown and was only
used for a Demo DB)
https://elexis.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/elexis/trunk/h2-adapter/

> > This has been one of the most time-consuming
> > tasks with getting eclipse done - hardly any of eclipse's dependencies
> > had OSGi metadata.
>
> So, metadata must be injected into the third party libs too? So, for
> the elixis example, into the ch.rgw.utility jar too?
This jar has this name as it predates elexis and can be found under
https://elexis.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/elexis/trunk/elexis-utilities/

As elexis consists of over 60 plug-ins (+ some proprietary ones I am not
interested in packaging) I have no intention (at least at the moment) to turn
them into as much packages for Debian. I think I will aggregate them to about
5 to 10 packages, e.g.
elexis-core
elexis-doc (user & developper documentation)
elexis-labor (plugins for getting data from instruments into elexis)
elexis-extra
elexis-all-free (all free plugins for elexis)

+ evtl. some which will need other tools to be packaged, eg. the
the oowrapper3-noa4e would need to pack
http://ubion.ion.ag/loesungen/003officeintegrationeditor/releases

or elexis-TestUI would need http://www.eclipse.org/swtbot/

Best regards