Re: Howto package a eclipse-RCP application for Debian?

Dear Niels,

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 8:35 AM, Niels Thykier <niels@thykier.net> wrote:
>> It's dependencies are listed here:
>> https://elexis.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/elexis/trunk/elexis-developer-
>> resources/doc/developer.textile
>
> Sweet, by the way, you can see its direct dependencies in the manifest:
>
> https://elexis.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/elexis/trunk/elexis-developer-resources/META-INF/MANIFEST.MF

Interesting thread... I am a long time Debian user (now mostly
indirectly via Ubuntu) and contributed small patches here and there in
the past... I have unfortunately little time for packaging nowadays,
as my Open Source work (CDK.sf.net, Bioclipse.net mostly) is eating up
all my time.

Now, Bioclipse is an RCP application too, so this thread has my strong
interest, as at least I like to learn what would need to be done to
get Bioclipse packaged...

<snip>

> If it relies on OSGi metadata (e.g. Require-Bundle/Import-Package in the
> Manifest) to find database adapters, you will probably need to patch the
> adapter-jars in Debian.

Where can I find information on what exactly defines a 'database
adapter' (you're not referring to e.g. the MySQL driver, are you?),
and a adapter-jar?

> This has been one of the most time-consuming
> tasks with getting eclipse done - hardly any of eclipse's dependencies
> had OSGi metadata.

So, metadata must be injected into the third party libs too? So, for
the elixis example, into the ch.rgw.utility jar too?

Thanx,

Egon

--
Post-doc @ Uppsala University
Proteochemometrics / Bioclipse Group of Prof. Jarl Wikberg