Re: Status packaging GT.M? (Was: OpenVista for Ubuntu)

GT.M - Rock solid. Lightning fast. Secure. No compromises.

On 02/03/2010 02:39 AM, Andreas Tille wrote:
On Tue, Feb 02, 2010 at 02:30:52PM -0800, Jonathan Tai wrote:

[KSB] <...snip...>

So the question whether to build as root or not on Alioth is void.
The Debian building tools are using fakeroot to build packages.

 > To elaborate on this: the packaging process requires root because the
 > install script (called "configure" in GT.M) essentially doesn't support
 > "make DESTDIR=" functionality.

Ahh, that's a shame and now I understand the problem.

 > Bhaskar has hinted at supporting this
 > kind of usage in the future -- I didn't want to rewrite the install
 > script and diverge significantly from upstream.

So the hint on the new version with rewritten install script enables
specifying a destination directory?

[KSB] To summarize, building GT.M from source only uses normal user ids. Since GT.M has a program that runs setuid root, installing GT.M on a system requires root.

The current install script is designed for interactive use and prompts with questions. I plan to write a new installation script that can take environment variables and command line flags and then simply run.

 > Another hurdle to upstream inclusion is proper support for the FHS.  I
 > believe Bhaskar had some some work in the area, but I won't speak for
 > him.  I haven't tried to make GT.M conform to the FHS -- I just install
 > it in /opt.

That's actually another showstopper.  If I imagine that we have
difficulties to include gt-m anyway because of its bootstrapping nature
we should not overstress ftpmasters patience by providing packages which
are not conformant to Debian Policy.

[KSB] GT.M has no conflict with FHS. You can install GT.M in any directory you want - for example, on my laptop, I install versions of GT.M under /usr/lib/fis-gtm. So someone choosing to install GT.M can choose to install it in a directory where it is FHS compliant or not.

 > If you don't mind the build-package-as-root requirement and the lack of
 > conformance to the FHS, go ahead and add it -- of course, if you make
 > any substantial changes, please do let us know so we can make them in
 > our Project as well.  As I mentioned before, we're already keeping
 > history in Bazaar, so if that's the only reason for adding it, then you
 > may want to wait a while longer.

Considering this it sounds reasonable to wait.

[KSB] I think it would be best for to wait till Jon and I get the new install script written and working.

Regards
-- Bhaskar