Re: Status packaging GT.M? (Was: OpenVista for Ubuntu)

Andreas --

Your e-mail is very timely - we just announced a major new GT.M release today (see http://fis-gtm.com)! This release includes the new scripting that makes GT.M easier to run out of the box. There is now a "gtm" script that sets up reasonable defaults for environment variables (the operation of GT.M is controlled by several environment variables), and creates a default database if one doesn't exist already. This database is journaled so that even if the computer crashes (or is just powered down), the database is automatically recovered when someone attempts to use it. To me, GT.M would not have been acceptable for mass distribution from the Debian repository without this scripting. So, this is one important step out of the way.

Jon has set up an Ubuntu repository (see https://medsphere.org/docs/DOC-1722) and he is able to build and distribute packages.

The next step is that I need to write a GT.M install script that will provide for a cleaner installation of GT.M from a .deb package. Now that we have the V5.4-000 release out, I plan to work with Jon on that.

Once we have a tested installation script, then we can look at doing builds on alioth and getting it included in the Debian repositories. At this point, we will almost certainly need your help because among other things, we will need to create some meta packages. Also, we will probably need help in setting something up under /etc/alternatives.

I hope this gives you a view of where things are. We are making progress, only not as fast as we would like to. If you have any questions, please do ask.

Regards
-- Bhaskar

GT.M - Rock solid. Lightning fast. Secure. No compromises.

On 02/02/2010 10:01 AM, Andreas Tille wrote:
On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 08:10:31AM -0500, K.S. Bhaskar wrote:

> [KSB] I found I needed to rework some of the user scripts in the GT.M > distribution first, which I will get into the GT.M packages. But it > appears that creating Debian friendly packages - not just binary packages > but Debian source packages that build into Debian binary packages is > somewhat more complicated than I envisioned, and since it is a background
 > activity, I have not made as much progress as I had hoped.

Any news here?  I'm keen on helping out in case of problems but I
somehow need a starting point because of a lack of GT.M knowledge.  So
if you stumble upon any problem regarding *packaging* please do not
hesitate to ask here.  Perhaps you might give a status report and
links to work in progres to let us have a look?

Thanks for your interest in Debian Med