DICOM viewers (Was: Contributing to DebianMed)

On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 10:32:09PM +0200, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> If you pick up Aeskulap and turn it into a better DICOM viewer than it
> is now that would be wonderful !

In fact Aeskulap seems to be dead upstream - at least there was no new
code from upstreams since years.  There is another project which is
perhaps comparable:

   http://www.orcero.org/irbis/kradview/

However this project sticks to version 1.1.0 since two years - so it
might be dead as well.  I have learned to know the author in 2008 at
OSWC in Málaga and he said it would be actively developed.

So perhaps spending some time into comparing these two projects (I
personally have no real idea how to compare the features) might make
sense.  If it turns out that kradview is better than Aeskulap we should
perhaps restart the packaging effort of this and Misha might rather
spend his time here ... or even a more reasonable project suggested by
our medical imaging experts???