Re: Astronaut inclusion in Debian-med.

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 08:40:10AM -0500, Ignacio Valdes wrote:
> > there id no rules file, the control file is invalid and the postinst is
> > dealing with "/opt".  I have no idea what to do to get a Debian package
> > from the files you provided.
>
> How about the bash script called build_gtm.sh that is at the link above?

Well, we probably have different opinions about what a Debian package
is.  In "my world" a Debian package is something where you compile a
program from source, install it to a temporary directory and build a
package from there.  Your script just does the last part somehow.
Finally the resulting Debian package has to pass a lintian test.

> How would it deal with rpms then?

We were talking about building a package which is provided from the
Debian mirror as official Debian package which will be provided on
official Debian CDs^WDVDs^WBlueray disks.  There is no need at all to
provide an RPM package from there because Debian does not provide any
RPMs.

> The above would seem to heavily tie
> it to Debian tools while not helping with rpm?

Well, it is the *Debian* Med project, isn't it?  It has this name
because it is a Debian Pure Blend (=*internal* Debian project).  It was
never intended to support RPMs and I wonder why you assume it should.
This does not mean that we would not seek for contact to Fedora or
OpenSuse and there are actually two mailing list which have a similar
goal (but no traffic on this list).  I have contacted the people who
initialised these lists but there was no real response and so the chance
for cooperation is limited for the moment.  There might be chances that
Fedora or OpenSuse users might profit from our work and I would try to
support this - but I personally have no idea about RPM.

BTW, I now understand your question about alien: Yes, once you have
builded a real Debian package you might use alien with good chances
to get a working RPM package.

> build_gtm.sh finds out
> what type of system it is on and builds a deb or rpm accordingly. That
> way if the whole thing is pulled you just run the script on the type
> of system it is on and it works.

But this is not intended.  If we provide official Debian packages you
just know on what system you are.