Re: our repository grew to 0.5 gig - can we reduce that somehow?

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 11:07:20PM +0200, Steffen Möller wrote:
> we should probably be proud of it, but I admit to also find it rather irritating that we have accumulated now half a gig on Debian
> folders for Debian Med.
>
> $ du -sh debian-med/
> 404M    debian-med/
>
> I just checked out the whole tree and, well, a couple of years ago this was my month's download limit. In short: I think we are in
> dire need to cut bits out.

Well, comparing with "a couple of years ago" just sucks in computer
science, right? ;-)
However, I see your point.

So I did a

  du -s * | grep -e "^[5-9][0-9]\{3\}" -e "^[0-9]\{5\}"

in the packages dir to find out which actual packages are needing the
most of the space.  I decided to keep only the last two or three tags of
libgenome, arb, gnumed-client and gnumed-server which I more or less
maintained on my own.

> My suggestion is to go for the tags, which I never understood or liked, in particular since I today (many thanks to Charles) for
> the first time made good use of Debian's snapshot machine http://snapshot.debian.org/ . This would bring it all down to around 130MB.

While I know snapshot.debian.org it comes sometimes handy to have old
packaging stuff when beeing offline.  However I surely agree that this
very old stuff is probably really rarely used and if you sometimes are
grepping the SVN for some solution it just consums time and bloats the
output.  If I remember correctly emboss is now in git and can be removed
from SVN anyway.  if we use the "keep only the latest tags" approach we
probably have a reasonable compromise.

> I don't know about how much bandwidth this would save our servers, but the least I can tell is that it would save me some time and
> probably would help to shy off newbies a bit less to have the full thing on their laptop.
>
> Other ideas?

I hope you like my idea and it helps a bit.

> Or should we just not care?

We should care if a member of our team sees a problem. ;-)