Re: our repository grew to 0.5 gig - can we reduce that somehow?

Dear Steffen and Andreas,

I do not recommend to remove the tags: they are useful information and on the
server side, they are not duplicating data. The problem is how have lean
checkouts without the tags.

Some packaging teams (pkg-perl, in particular) use an alternate structure for
their repository, whith an early split for tags and trunks. In that case, it is
possible to check out all the trunks for all the pakcages, but it is more
difficult to check out the tags and the trunk together for one single package.
I think that we discussed already about the possibility of migrating to this
layout, and concluded that nobody has time for this.

There are actually only a couple of pakcages that take a lot of space. In the
case of EMBOSS I transferred SVN's commits in a git repository, and then
continued the development there. I just deleted the remaining SVN contents
(~60 Mb). Sorry for having forgotten: I wanted to wait for the package with the
updated VCS fields to migrate to testing, and then lost the momentum.

Back to the problem of checking out packages without tags, I think that we can
use the ‘mr‘ tool to achieve this. I have made a bit of experimentation in the
context of the Euclayptus packaging team. If you are interested, you can have
a look at the following wiki page:

http://wiki.debian.org/pkg-eucalyptus#Cross-repositorycheckout

We could also have for Debian Med a single command that would check out all our
packages, regardless of the repository. In parallel, the Blends metapackages
could also include a mr configuration file to check out all the pakcages
installed by the Blends metapackage. There would be a couple of design
decisions to take (for instance, would we require that environment variables
DEBEMAIL and DEBFULLNAME are available ?), and this could be discussed
on the Blends mailing list.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles