Re: GNUmed Live CD for 0.6.0 is out

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 06:28:07PM +0100, Sebastian Hilbert wrote:

> Problem is there are no scripts I can provide. I can provide configuration
> files which get created (and overwritten) by calling something like
>
> lh_config -p gnome

OK, just assume I would have written configuration files instead of
scripts. ;-)

> This generates a bunch of config files. A call to lh_build will then happily
> use that information to create an iso image.
>
> http://live.debian.net/manual/html/live-helper.html#lh_config
>
> I created those files once and had to manually change them to tweak options
> that are/were not available through the command-line.

You should commit everything what you created / changed manually and
perhaps a _short_ README with the link above or something like this that
somebody who stumbles upon the stuff knows where to read.

> The problem is that the format of those configuration files (options, syntax)
> change over time so it is a bit of a moving target.

That what _Version_ _Control_ _Systems_ are good for, right?

> That is why the get recreated from the command line
>
> I could supply a starting configuration and diff and friends would need to be
> used in future versions of live-helper to adapt to changed configuration
> files.

What we want is what you manually created and the recipe to get an ISO
image of the current live CD using the current livehelper.  Just update
SVN if any change might be needed.

> Ok. Please have a look athttp://www.gnumed.de/downloads/live-
> cd/developers/config10042009.tgz
> and advise how to best handle that situation

I would commit this structure as is to SVN with some exceptions:

  1. config/chroot_local-packages/python-psycopg2_2.0.12-1_i386.deb
     -> what is the reason to stick to this older version than the
        Debian packaged one?
  2. config/chroot_local-includes/etc/postgresql/8.3
     -> any reason to stick to PostgreSQL 8.3 instead of using the
        future Debian default for Squeeze (8.4)

Could you please comment on this?

Thanks for your input in any case.