jemboss and artemis

Hi Charles,

I had a look into Artemis[1] because this might be used in our
institute.  The situation of this package is similar to the recently
packaged alien_hunter:  It contains a lot of Jar files without source.
In alien_hunter this was easy to solve: The jars were all available for
Debian so I stripped these from the tarball, added apropriate
dependencies and changed the CLASSPATH variable in the calling
procedure.

When trying the same strategy in Artemis I realised that in this case
things are not that simple because not all jar files that used in
artemis are available in Debian.  To take one specific example:
There is a file jemAlign.jar which for instance in turn includes
a jakarta-regexp-1.2.jar which on the other hand is there as seperate
file next to jemAlign.jar in the downloadable tarball.  I admit this
whole Jar-jungle is a bit confusing to me.  But furthermore in
jemAlign.jar is a directory called emboss which leaded me to the
Emboss project which is actually packaged and I hoped for JEmboss
to be my friend.

Unfortunately it is not that easy because the jemboss package does
not seem to contain the wanted jar file.  But I noticed - and that's
the reason why I added jemboss to the subject - an outdated instance
of jakarta-regexp-1.2.jar and log4j-1.2.8.jar inside the jemboss
package.  We have

   libregexp-java: /usr/share/maven-repo/jakarta-regexp/jakarta-regexp/1.5/jakarta-regexp-1.5.jar

and

   liblog4j1.2-java: /usr/share/java/log4j-1.2-1.2.15.jar
   liblog4j1.2-java: /usr/share/java/log4j-1.2.jar

but I noticed that jemboss is not the only package which contains copies
of log4j-*.jar.  That's a bit confusing and I wonder what might be the
best idea to sort this out.

I would also be very happy for a hint where I might find the source for
jemAlign.jar before I ask upstream which most probably will answer: It's
everything in our downloadable tarball, just use this.  I just got this
kind of answer in two different Java based projects without beeing able
to make them understand that we need the real source to let ftpmaster
accept a new package.

Any hint is welcome

          Andreas.

[1] http://www.sanger.ac.uk/Software/Artemis/