Re: pdb2pqr maintained by DebiChem team but in Debian Med repository?

On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 07:37:02PM +0200, Manuel Prinz wrote:
> Both of the above is true. There are currently license issues that have
> to be sorted out. I'm in contact with upstream about that and I we're
> working on it. Due to time constraints on both sides of the line, it's
> not progressing as fast as we all like it to be. That's unfortunate but
> we'd like to do it right.

Good luck with this.

> About the group issue: We (Steffen and I) did the preliminary packaging
> work in Debian Med, as we were both members of that group and I did not
> know about Debichem back then. Michael invited me to put the package
> under the Debichem umbrella. I think it is the right place for the
> package, and agreed with Steffen to move it. I have not done that step
> as there is still work going on. When it is ready, I'll do the move of
> the repositories. I think it won't heared anyone if it stays in the
> Debian Med SVN since this one is referenced in the bug report currently.

It is perfectly fine for me in any SVN.  I was just confused by having a
package maintained by DebiChem in our archive.  Nothing more.  I think
there is no sense in competing about package maintenance and the main
maintainer should draw a reasonable decision which repository fits best.
If there is a strong reason to have a package maintained by a different
team in our repository this should be documented in some proper readme
file.  For the moment I would think something like:

   This packaging stuff will be moved to DebiChem SVN with next
   release.

or something like this would clarify things IMHO:

> I think the package is almost ready, though I fear that it might get
> rejected again in the current state. I also have to test it with Python
> 2.6 to not interfere with the ongoing transition. Once I'm sure it will
> not put burdon on others, I will upload and get ftp-master's feedback.
> If it won't work out, we will have to wait for a new upstream version.
> But I'm quite confident it will be OK.

Thanks for your work on this