Re: Representation of networks paragraph on Wiki DebianSystemsBiology

On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 06:50:26PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> > Well, but where to mention this kind of packages?  Med-bio - probably not,
> > med-bio-dev - also not optimal, new task med-bio-imaging???
>
> Since there is no critical mass to start a med-systems task,

I do not think so.  If you look at

   http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/tasks/his  or
   http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/tasks/laboratory

there is not even a single package inside Debian (and thus no metapackages
are created by blends-dev).  So if we have at least a few packages that do
fit into a new category we should probably stop using med-bio as kitchen
sink for everything which might fit on biologists desktop.

> I would think that
> med-bio is the best place to list the programs to package. However, if we apply
> the same logic to the other DebianBiology wiki pages, med-bio will really
> become big, even after splitting graphical and command-line programs in two
> separate tasks.

Yes.  We definitely need to split somehow.  Even the idea for a separate
Blend popped up to my mind - there was some really funny mail in the
first year(s) of Debian Med where somebody accused my to occupy the
topic Biology for Medicine.  My reply that every body is free to take
over and build an own Biology project and we "release" all the stuff
from Debian Med remained unanswered ...

I'm not sure whether now the time is ripe to go this step.  IMHO we have
enough man power for both teams, could maintain a strong relation and
the split is quite clear - even clearer than sometimes between DebiChem
and the biological software.

Please do not understand it as an actual *proposal* but some kind of
openly thinking whether this might solve the large med-bio problem.

Klarmachen zum Ändern!