Re: post-inst message for autodock

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 3:12 PM, Michael Banck<mbanck@debian.org> wrote:
> (CCing -science because I think this applies to all fields of science
> and should see wider discussion)
>
> For -science, the issue is about user registration (usually before
> download, or on program startup) which is an important tool for
> scientific software authors to plead for further funding.  It was
> proposed that the autodock package (where the registration
> page/reminder/whatever was patched out by Debian) be changed to show a
> debconf note to users upon installation instead.
[...]
> My proposal would be to add an inofficial control file field like
> XB-Registration: http://foo.org/register which could be exposed in the
> task pages as a "Register as a user for this package" link on the task
> pages.
>
> If this proves successful with users, upstream authors and developers,
> we can propose it to Debian at large.
>
> What do others think?

Hi,

There was a proposal to collect data from popcon to this purpose, IIR.
On one hand this would be automatic and not bother the user, but on
the other hand, not that many people run popcon.

Download statistics from mirrors could also be used, but getting
accurate data from all of them might not be easy.

Teemu