Re: post-inst message for autodock

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 05:16:46PM +0200, Steffen Moeller wrote:
> in the sake of our group maintenance I want to inform you about a somewhat unusual
> post-inst message that I had added to the autodock package, toinform the users that
> upstream needs funding to maintain their software.

I have very mixed feelings about this because:

  - Postinst should not be to noisy.
  - It might not help anyway because the information gets lost.

So I would really love to avoid this even if I understand the reasons of
upstream clearly.  What could we do instead.

  1. Having the file in /usr/share/doc/<package> is fine.
  2. Point to this file in the package description should work even
     better than your solution.
  3. Referencing the file in the manpage makes noise as well.
  4. We could even add a comment on the tasks page which makes
     the problem visible for users who did not even installed
     the package.

Please consider these suggestions instead of this clear misuse
of postinst.