Re: Any imake guru (shared lib vs static lib) ?

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 02:27:40PM +0200, Michael Banck wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 02:18:19PM +0200, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 1:55 PM, Michael Banck<mbanck@debian.org> wrote:
> > > Are dicom3tools libraries' used by a lot of other packages?
> >
> > Not that I know of.
> > But there are ~128 executables, I am pretty sure I'll gain some space
> > using shared lib.
>
> In that case, maybe you can install the shared library under
> /usr/lib/dicom or something (i.e., not in the general library search
> path in /usr/lib), and try to change the build system to use them.

Two thoughts:

1. Please install it in a namespace reserved for your package, such
as /usr/lib/dicom3tools, rather than /usr/lib/dicom.

2. Unless I'm missing something obvious, you'll need to write wrappers
around each executable to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH so that the hidden shared
lib can be found at runtime.

Frankly, I wouldn't worry about the space wasted by static linking;
instead, I'd focus on the manpage problems.

-Steve