Re: Any imake guru (shared lib vs static lib) ?

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 02:18:19PM +0200, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 1:55 PM, Michael Banck<mbanck@debian.org> wrote:
> > Are dicom3tools libraries' used by a lot of other packages?
>
> Not that I know of.
> But there are ~128 executables, I am pretty sure I'll gain some space
> using shared lib.

In that case, maybe you can install the shared library under
/usr/lib/dicom or something (i.e., not in the general library search
path in /usr/lib), and try to change the build system to use them.

You would not ship a seperate libarary (or libdevel) package.

That way, you do not have to worry about the external ABI/API of your
package.

Once somebody requests the external shipment of the shared library in
order to use them with 3rd party applications, you can still revisit
this problem.

Michael