Re: Invalid dependencies

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 1:42 PM, Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> wrote:
> On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 09:59:55AM +0200, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
>> $ gdcm2vtk /home/mmalaterre/Dashboards/Theralys/gdcmData/MR-MONO2-12-angio-an1.acr
>> out2.dcm
>> gdcm2vtk: error while loading shared libraries:
>> libvtkRendering.so.5.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file
>> or directory
>>
>> The solution is to install libvtk5 from unstable which provide
>> libvtkRendering.so.5.2
>>
>> I am not sure what is the correct way to solve this dependencie ?
>
> IMHO this is a typical case for a versioned dependency.  Try
>
>  Depends: libvtk5 (>= version_which_works)

Hum... I have been dealing with this issue with Steve M. Robbins, so I
thought he could give his opinion on that. If I understand correctly
SOVERSION(ing stuff, we should have two packages: one libvtk5.0 and
one libvtk5.2.
GDCM can build against both version, there are most feature in 5.2
that's all. I just could not figure out how this sort of dependencie
would work (we can not force people to update to libvtk5.2 if gdcm can
be build with a lower version)...

Is this clearer ?

> this issue should be solved.  On th eother hand for Etch users
> this might need backporting the package (either by using different
> dependencies or backporting the working library to Etch).

Ah ok, package are unrelated and one version live aside from the
other... So this means gdcm 2.0.10 links to VTK 5.2 on lenny, but a
gdcm backport package will links to VTK 5.0.
I think it makes sense now.

I still do not understand why I have to do that manually, I thought I
was missing something...

> BTW, I adjusted the tasks dependencies for imaging
>
>    Depends: libgdcm-tools
>
> and imaging-dev
>
>    Depends: libgdcm2-dev
>
> Unfortunately thses do not (yet) show up on our tasks pages because
> the code which generates the tasks pages only parses Packages file of
> i386 (yes, I know this sucks and I'm working on it in all the small
> chunks of spare time).  So as long as gdcm is not available for i386
> it will not show up on our tasks pages or I finish the UDD using
> tasks pages - whatever comes first.

Which sucks even more as GDCM cannot be build on i386 because VTK 5.2
package has some issue:

-> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=529292

The bug is solved in VTK collab-maintain git repository...

> Meanwhile you might comment on the dependencies - perhaps we should
> list all the *-dev packages in imaging-dev? What do you think?

Ok will do.

> Kind regards and thanks for working on gdcm

Kudos should go to Steve M Robbins for finishing up the package !

--
Mathieu