Re: debian OID / dicom3tools packaging

On Wed, 28 Jan 2009, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:

So *if* my interpretation of things is correct I see two options:

 I. Ask upstream to enable putting the UID in a configuration file.
    This most probably is a clean, safe and flexible solution.

Again no one ever complained for DCMTK/GDCM.

OK.

 II. Enable the user to make recompilation much less painful.
    Well, this is surely not a really nice solution, but if there
    is no other option something like this comes to mind:

    1. Build a wrapper package which via debconf asks for a
       UID and unpacks a source tarball
    2. Patch the source to include the UID.
    3. Setup build dependencies properly in a chroot / use
       pbuilder to compile the package.

=O
I am /not/ volunteering for that. :)

I would actually be astonished if anybody would.  It was rather
an example that option I. should be choosen (if needed as you told
me is not really the case).

Nothing restrict you for running your dicom3tools generated image
through let say dcmtk --uid-always / gdcm to regenerate new uids if
you really want to control those kind of low level details.

So well, I think I have to less knowledge about this and I noticed
that my ideas about your initial Debian Med related UID did not
provided any reasonable help.  Perhaps it's better I remain silent
about this topic. ;-)