Re: debian OID / dicom3tools packaging

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:

the ideal solution would be indeed that a conf file would indicate
what is the root UID being used. GDCM has one, DCMTK has one. David
Clunie (author of dicom3tools) has one, SIEMENS, GE, Philips, my
actual company.

the problem is for one time user, converting a MINC file to DICOM. Any
larger organisation would have there own UID, but would need to
-painfully- recompile dicom3tools.

I'm actually not positively sure whether I understood the problem right
but it sounds like the UID is compiled into the binary code but has to
be specific to the user who is using the software.  So IMHO having a
Debian UID means that a user with a debian.org address might use the
package but no user of the Debian package who is working for SIEMENS,
GE, Philips, etc.

If a user has his own UID it makes no sense to compile this into the
package, right?

So *if* my interpretation of things is correct I see two options:

  I. Ask upstream to enable putting the UID in a configuration file.
     This most probably is a clean, safe and flexible solution.

 II. Enable the user to make recompilation much less painful.
     Well, this is surely not a really nice solution, but if there
     is no other option something like this comes to mind:

     1. Build a wrapper package which via debconf asks for a
        UID and unpacks a source tarball
     2. Patch the source to include the UID.
     3. Setup build dependencies properly in a chroot / use
        pbuilder to compile the package.

Well this sounds really stupid compared to I. and thus I would
definitely prefer I. but I see no other option if the UID is *really*
included in the binary.