Mime types for medical data formats

Hi,

I recently learned that file has obviosely no means for detecting biological
data formats.  Three months ago we had some discussions about Applied
Biosystems chromatograms[1].  This thread more or less had ended with: We
are waiting for an answer of the authors.

Now I wonder whether we could assemble general mime information for
several biological data formats to enable applications to detect whether
files have the format they should have.  I think this would be of great
profit for many applications to be able to easily verify that the input
format fits the format the applications wants to work with.

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-med/2008/01/msg00135.html