Re: new source package format in dpkg-dev

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008, Charles Plessy wrote:
> > Clearly the format 2.0 has been implemented as an academic exercise
>
> Then please do not ask for feedback on it. I am happy to spend time for
> you but not if it is to be wasted.

My initial mail was clear: "In particular I want feedback on the "3.0
(quilt)" format which I'd like to promote as the standard format for
non-native packages in lenny+1."

> dpkg-source: info: building glam2 using existing ./glam2_1058.orig.tar.gz
> dpkg-source: error: cannot represent change to glam2-1058/patches:
> dpkg-source: error:   new version is nonexistent
> dpkg-source: error:   old version is symlink to /tmp/glam2-1058/debian/patches
> dpkg-source: error: unrepresentable changes to source
> dpkg-buildpackage: failure: dpkg-source -b glam2-1058 gave error exit status 2

Heh, nice. That's something that can be improved on CDBS's sides. They
shouldn't create this symlink at all and instead set
QUILT_PATCHES=debian/patches. I have reported a bug about this.

> I then tried to add an arbitrary change, and ran dpkg-buildpackage again:
[...]
> In conclusion, I think that the key information from this mail is that if you
> want to promote the use of format 3.0 (quilt), then it is probably a good idea
> to see with the quilt maintainers (who distrubute
> /usr/share/cdbs/1/rules/patchsys-quilt.mk) how a global solution can be
> provided.

I'm also considering a solution where dpkg-source will auto-apply the
quilt patches before building the source package. If I don't see a .pc
directory and if I have no sign that dpkg-source applied them at
extraction time (by checking some stamp file like
debian/patches/.dpkg-source-applied) and if I have a series file, then
applying them all is in order.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog